Kimmons Junior High began PE4life during the 2008-2009 school year with the help of many generous supporters. In December of 2008, Kimmons received a check in the amount of $47,287 from a grant provided by the Blue and You Foundation of Arkansas for the PE4life program.
Thanks to the Arkansas Blue Cross/Blue Shield "Blue and You" Program, the Kimmons PE4life Program is empowered to incorporate Sutton Elementary sixth graders into the school's PE4life Program. In January 2010, Medical Affairs Manager Sandy Chaddock presented the $104,000 grant to Principal Jim Garvey, Kimmons P.E. Teacher Donna Jo East, and Sutton P.E. Teacher Kevin Kaelin, as Sutton and Kimmons students watched.
PE4life Core Principles:
- Be directed to all students, not just the athletically inclined
- Offer a variety of fitness, sport, leisure and adventure activities
- Provide a safe and encouraging learning environment
- Utilize individual assessments
- Incorporate current technology
- Extend beyond the walls of the gymnasium
- Ideally, be offered to every child every day
- Circuit Training
- Resistance Training
- Flag Football
- Health Education
KIMMONS PE4life Staff:
- Donna Jo East, Department Chair