FSPS Colleagues, Families and Friends,
This year, there are some changes to school elections in the State of Arkansas. Act 910 of 2017 eliminated the September election date for school board members. Instead, school districts have been required to select either a May or November election date. Our board voted to establish a May election date, which means that Board elections will be on May 22 this year.
Here are some answers to common voting questions and I am attaching two documents that may be helpful as well.
- Registered and eligible voters who live within the Fort Smith School District in Fort Smith and Barling may vote in FSPS elections scheduled for May 22. Voters can use this link to determine quickly whether they are registered to vote. If they are registered, the site will tell them in which districts they live and where to vote. The deadline to register to vote is April 23.
- Early voting runs from May 7 - 21. A list of voting locations is attached that includes early voting sites and times that they will be open. All eligible voters in Sebastian County can vote at any designated early voting site.
- Another new feature this year is that all eligible voters in Sebastian County can vote at any Vote Center on Election Day, May 22. The attachment also includes a list of Election Day Vote Centers, which will be open from 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM on Election Day.
- The May 22 ballot includes a proposed millage increase. You will find a sample ballot on page three of the voting information document.
- Please feel free to share the millage election FAQ and this voting information. To access additional factual information about the proposal, please use this link.
Doug Brubaker, Ph.D. Superintendent
Fort Smith Public Schools