From the Superintendent:
Our Mission: Fort Smith Public Schools, a premier district where innovation creates excellence, is dedicated to providing an equitable, challenging educational experience by engaging families and community partners as we prepare students to embrace their roles in our culturally diverse community and rapidly changing world.
As an education team, we are hyper-aware of the disparities that exist between children. We talk about inequity, but often fail to understand our individual and collective responsibility in neutralizing, and eliminating all forms of bias (whether overt or implicit) that exist in ourselves and our society. We will take an active role, not only in our schools, but also in our communities, as role models for the students and families we serve.
At the center of our district’s value systems are our beliefs about the strength of diversity and our commitment to ensure equal opportunity for our students. This idea is directly addressed by two of our stated objectives:
- Learning Environment: Each student will have instructionally supportive learning environments that are safe, nurturing and welcoming
- Equitable Access: Each FSPS student will have equal access to programs, resources and opportunities. –Vision 2023, December 2017
Because of these values, we pledge to:
- Actively create and support conditions in our schools that make racism, inequity and bias unacceptable.
- Strengthen efforts to provide specific diversity and anti-bias training for all FSPS staff and volunteers.
- Intentionally seek out and develop representative groups of students, parents and members of our community to promote mutual understanding
Our schools must serve not only as the warm and welcoming environments that all students, staff, and families deserve but also as catalysts for positive change in our community. We commit to learning from the past, expanding our efforts to seek out and aggressively address sources of inequity within our system, developing a student-centered culture that embraces people from all backgrounds, and building a community of learners where all of our students can live, learn, and grow.
Doug Brubaker, Ph.D.
Fort Smith Public Schools, a premier district where innovation creates excellence, is dedicated to providing an equitable, challenging educational experience by engaging families and community partners as we prepare students to embrace their roles in our culturally diverse community and rapidly changing world.
Our seven Vision 2023 Strategies continue to guide our efforts on behalf of students. You will find references to these goals and our progress in addressing them throughout this document.
The strategies are explained here:
Vision 2023 Strategic Plan