2019-2020 Kindergarten/New Student Pre-Registration Begins April 2, 2019
FSPS selected to pilot Arkansas Department of Education’s Power School System
At a Glance
- FSPS pilots Arkansas Department of Education online kindergarten/new student pre-registration system.
- Online pre-registration for kindergarten and other students who will be new to FSPS in the 2019-2020 school year begins April 2.
- Computer kiosks are available at all FSPS elementary schools, so that parents can complete the pre-registration process at their attendance area school or at home.
Fort Smith, AR, February 20, 2019 – Fort Smith Public Schools Kindergarten and new student pre-registration for the 2019-2020 school year begins Tuesday, April 2 using the PowerSchool online registration process.
The new online pre-registration will be completed in two parts.
Part A: Electronic Pre-Registration is Tuesday, April 2, 2019 to May 29, 2019. There are two options:
- Register in Person in your child’s attendance area: A Computer Kiosk will be available from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. from April 2 through May 29. Parents and guardians may bring all required documents to complete the registration process at that time. Order of Registration time-stamps will not be confirmed until any missing documents are presented to the school staff for verification.
- Or, you can register at home. Parents can find their attendance area at fortsmithar.gov or through the “Pre-Registration” link at Fort Smith Public Schools website, http://www.fortsmithschools.org/
Kindergarten is mandatory for all children in the state of Arkansas who will be five years of age on or before August 1, 2019, unless parents or guardians file a kindergarten waiver with the public schools. Children not attending kindergarten will be tested to determine if they will be placed in kindergarten or first grade upon entering school.
All preschool students who attended one of the Fort Smith Public School District preschool programs must complete the Kindergarten Registration process.
Part B: Registration Verification Appointments: The Registration Verification Appointment step is offered for those who register their children from a computer at home or for those who do not have all of the required documents to finalize the registration process. If this verification step is completed, a student will maintain her/his placement on the registration list at a particular school.
To be legally enrolled, immunization records must be complete and in compliance with current regulations. A birth certificate, proof of physical assessment, and a social security card must be presented to the school. Birth certificates for children born in Arkansas may be obtained by writing: Arkansas State Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, Little Rock, AR 72201. Applications are available on line at http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov.
As of this date, Arkansas law requires the following immunizations for all children enrolling in kindergarten: 4 doses of Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus (DPT [last dose required after fourth birthday]), 3 doses of Polio (last dose required after fourth birthday), 2 doses of MMR (with all doses after first birthday), 1 dose of Hepatitis A, (given on or after 1st birthday), 3 doses of Hepatitis B, and 2 doses of Varicella (chicken pox [with all doses on or after first birthday]). Enrollment is taken on a first come, first served basis. Full-day kindergarten classes will be held at all locations.
The Fort Smith Public Schools Kindergarten Program provides readiness in mathematics, reading, social studies and science. Music, art, and dramatization are all integral parts of the program. For further information, contact the elementary school in your area or contact Darian Layes, Director of Student Services, at the Fort Smith Public Schools Service Center, (479) 785-2501.
# # #
About Fort Smith Public Schools
From unmanned aerial systems programming to unforgettable kindergarten trips to the farm,
Fort Smith Public Schools provides incredible opportunities and strong instruction for each of the almost 15,000 students in its 19 neighborhood elementary schools, four junior high schools, two senior high schools, one alternative learning center and one adult education center. With nationally recognized schools, students, educators and organizations, Fort Smith Public Schools are always the best choice. For information, visit www.fortsmithschools.org